Star Wars 1138

Discuss the ultimate things of Star Wars. The Expanded Universe, The Canon, and games.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Tips, Tricks, and Advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Darth Vader
Grand Jedi Admin
Grand Jedi Admin

PostSubject: Tips, Tricks, and Advice   Thu 5 Aug 2010 - 0:06

**NOTE: This topic is locked so that only staff members can edit this post. If you have a really useful tip please contact a staff member so they can add it.

-Test after only a few changes
Trust me, this one'll save you lots of trouble. A lot of times new modders will make 50 changes then go in and test in-game only to find a crash. Well, now you're stuck, as there's 50 different things it could be, as opposed to you making 5 changes and only having 5 things to check.

-When you're stuck on a crash, work backwards.
For example: You have a custom model. It showed up the last go-round when testing, but you added another model and now it crashes. Well, logic would say to remove that model from the map so it's not loaded, then test. If it works without that model, then you know where the problem is.

-Have a 'Test Only' map
It's really a great thing for testing out random ideas, new units, learning the ins and outs of the editor, etc. Don't ever release it, just use it to learn and test with. That way when you go back to work on the map you want to release you already know how to do something. Yes, it takes a little longer, but you won't screw up your map, and you'll learn the tools much faster.

-Re-read the docs, the tutorials, and the FAQ every once and awhile
You'll find as a new modder you have no idea what you're doing. We've all been there. When I opened Radiant for the first time I couldn't figure out how to move up and down for like a week, and I almost gave up. But you'll find as you learn more stuff that the tutorials and docs make more sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://starwarsmodding.freeforums.org/

Tips, Tricks, and Advice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1